Friday, June 24, 2005

Buying into Service



So I've been in sales my whole life. I have dealt with just about every type of customer you can think of. So when I turn it around on myself, what type of customer do I look like? I'm currently project manager on a side project at work where I am assisting and doing pretty much all the research on rennovating our office. Part of that job is finding cubicle workspaces that will fill our new open office environment. The short of this story is that there are tons of company's that can put workspaces together for us and it would seem that almost all of the salespeople I've dealt with are very professional and have been getting me all the info I have been needing.

Anyway, I was pretty set on this one provider and I've done everything to confirm that he would be getting the sale besides actually giving him the actual committment. Then another provider pops in my front door and throws out a proposal for a much nicer looking cubicle setup for pretty much the same cost as my previous quote from the original vendor.

So now I'm at a crossroads. I feel like the original vendor has worked very hard to put a setup together for me. However, the cubicles he's promoting are refurbished older models that look a bit dated, but I'm sure are still pretty nice. The new vendor has kind of jumped into the spotlight on his first try at layout and price and I really love the look of this modern cubicle. So this means I probably will have to tell the original vendor that has worked so hard that I can't do his option. I feel bad, but at the same time it's important that we get what we need and what is right for the space. After all, we have to live with it everyday we come to work.

I just know I hate it when people make me do a ton of work like this and then lose out to someone at the last minute. I guess it's just all part of the sales game and nobody should take it personally. I will tell the guy over the phone that we aren't going to choose them, and that's a lot more respectful than what I get from a lot of prospective clients of my own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home