Friday, June 03, 2005

What matters is what you like. Not what you "are" like.

Do you ever feel that your not well-rounded enough? I guess it bothers me sometimes when I think at the amount of time I waste watching tv or surfing the web. I read some other blogs and the people in them talk about all these great books and music they listen to and I wish I could get into it. But for somereason I just can't. I mean I've tried to sit down and read books and I'm just too fidgety. I find my attention wondering to other areas in my brain and then I realize I missed the last 4 pages. And when it comes to music I try to listen to more unknown bands and it all sounds like a bunch of rubbish. There's no constant beat and who knows what the hell they're saying.

Now I won't say this is the case for everything cultural. My wife is a foriegner and I've attended many non-mainstream films with her that typically aren't even in English. I liked them. And even I can say that I understood them. Well, most of them anyway.

But does the fact that I enjoy more popular music and campy TV programs make me culturally shallow? Does it mean I have the depth of a rain puddle? I'm not sure, but I do know that you shouldn't have to try to like something. It should either come to you or not. It's kind of like beer. If you don't like the taste as a 25 year old man, then you are most likely never going to like it no matter how much you slam it down your throat. So maybe I should just be happy with what I do find interesting and just be open to new things until I deduce that I really do hate them after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home