Wednesday, May 04, 2005

A Film to Ponder


Ok, so I saw this crazy movie last night. It's called "Primer". It won some Sundance film Festival awards last year and I'd have to say it's quite intriguing. I had read about it 6 months ago but I could never get motivated enough to go down to the local arthouse multiplex and see it. But it's finally out to rent and I just happen to come accross it at Blockbuster. Now let me explain one thing. If you like movies with good music and special effects and gripping characters, then you've most likely come to the wrong place if you are renting this film. But if you want to see something very different and you don't mind the fact that it isn't the best film transfer in the world, then you may be in for a treat.

Basically the movie is about a group of engineers that appear to be working on a project outside of work that they can hopefully patent and make some money off of. I'm not quite sure what the invention is, but I'm not sure that matters. Let's say it's some type of anti-gravity device. Anyway, due to some strange things that happen in the development of this device, they somehow conclude that the machine has created some type of loop in time. So they end up deciding to build a bigger device and try to enter into that loop in time themselves. Obviously the movie then degrades down to the sort of time travel paradox plot that we are used to in films past, but at the same time throws in some new twists regarding how this time loop can't continue to keep it's integrity and then it's very difficult to keep up with from that point. You definitley need to watch it a few times. Something I haven't done yet. The DVD has a narration track by the director and actors which might shed some light on what is going on but somehow I think it might still be a little complex to grasp.

But definitley check it out. It's a different kind of movie that definitley keeps your attention even if you are having trouble connecting all the pieces.

www.PrimerMovie.com

1 Comments:

Blogger Ed said...

My kind of review. Just enough detail to peak my interest but no apparent spoilers. Thanks. After reading this, I had to go put the film in my Netflix queue.

11:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home